Kamis, 27 Oktober 2011

Semantics

Reproduced below is a well-known passage from Lewis Carroll’s Through the
Looking Glass. Pick out all the instances of the word mean (or means, or
meant), noting which lines they occur in. (Some line numbers are given in
the margin for convenience.) After the passage there are some questions for
you to answer.
1 ‘. . . that shows that there are three hundred and sixty-four days
when you might get un-birthday presents.’
‘Certainly,’ said Alice.
‘And only one for birthday presents, you know. There’s glory for
5 you!’
‘I don’t know what you mean by “glory,” ’ Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. ‘Of course you don’t –
till I tell you. I meant “there’s a nice knockdown argument for you.” ’
‘But “glory” doesn’t mean ‘a nice knockdown argument,’ Alice
10 objected.
‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful
tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less.’
‘The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean
so many different things.’
15 ‘The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master –
that’s all.’

(1) What word is the subject of the verb mean in line 6?
..........................................................................................................................
(2) What is the subject of the verb mean in line 9?
..........................................................................................................................
(3) What is understood as the subject of the verb mean in line 12?
..........................................................................................................................
(4) List all the instances (by line number) where mean, means, or meant has
a personal subject, e.g. I or you. (Include instances already listed in the
questions above.)
..........................................................................................................................
(5) List all the instances (by line number) in which mean, or means, or
meant is understood as having as subject something linguistic, e.g. a
word, or words. (Include instances mentioned in questions above.)

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar